Passport Information


Robbinsdale's Deputy Registrar - Motor Vehicle Office

Passport & Passport Photo Services


Passport & DMV Customers: Due to high volume when school is out of session, please expect longer than usual wait times.  


Drop-in services are provided Monday through Friday, but sufficient time is needed for processing applications and will only be accepted at the counter between 8-3:30 pm during the week. (If you take a number and are not called back to the counter for passport processing by 3:30 pm weekdays , you will have to come back another day.)  See below for information on Saturday appointments.

Payment for passport applications MUST be personal check or postal money-order. Payment for Passport Photos and the Passport Agent Fee can be made by cash, check, or **credit card (*American Express Credit Card is not accepted.)

*A convenience fee of 2.45% of your total purchase will be applied to all card transactions (this fee is charged by the credit card service provider; Robbinsdale DMV does not receive any of these fees.)

Payment for Passport Applications MUST be personal check or postal money-order.



Saturday Passport Applications by Appointment

You can schedule a Saturday appointment for passport applications by calling 763-535-8133, and then press 1, then press 3. You may still drop in on the 1st & 2nd Saturday of the month, however, the ability to service any drop-in customers will depend on no-shows or customers with appointments failing to have the correct information. The office is open Saturday from 9-noon. We start the last passport application review at 11:30 a.m. to allow for time to complete the passport processes.


First-Time Passports

The following is needed to apply for a passport:

  • Proof of Citizenship*
  • Proof of Identity*
  • Recent photo (we can take them for you for $15)
  • Required fee paid by personal check or postal money order.
  • For minors, two parents (both with valid Minnesota driver's licenses) must accompany the minor throughout the application process. There are some special exceptions for parents who are divorced. There are additional steps required if a parent does not have a driver's license from Minnesota.
    *For clarification on special procedures or requirements and clarification on what constitutes proof of citizenship and identity go to OR call 1-877-487-2778.



    Renewals are handled by mail if all of the following are true. Your passport
    • is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
    • was issued when you were age 16 or older
    • was issued within the last 15 years
    • was issued in the exact same name as your previous passport or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law
    If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person
     and we can assist you at our office.