City Council Meeting
Tuesday, September 26 at 7:00 p.m.
- Date: 09/26/2017
The Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 26 at 7:00 p.m. in the City Hall (Council Chambers) at 4100 Lakeview Ave N, Robbinsdale, MN 55422. Meeting date changed due to scheduling conflict.
A Public Hearing will be held to hear public feedback about changes proposed to the City's tobacco licensing regulations intended to help reduce youth access to tobacco. Main changes proposed:
- Adding basis for denying a license (1132.06) – would include investigation to determine if a license applicant had been convicted of a violations related to sale of licensed products. Application would need to be updated to collect information needed to conduct investigation. We do not anticipate the need to add any additional fee for the investigation.
- Updating code to conform to state statutes.
- Considering raising the legal age for tobacco sales from 18 to 21.
- Restricting sale of flavored products to those retails who prohibit persons under age 21 (or 18 if the age limit is not changed) and those that derive at least 90 percent of revenues from licensed products. Restriction would NOT include menthol, wintergreen, or mint.
- Requiring a minimum price and package size for cigars. Proposal is for 5- pack minimum at $13 ($2.60/unit) – exception for single cigar at price of at least $4.
- Requiring child-resistant packaging tor liquids containing nicotine.
- Removing local penalties for underage use, possession or purchase – deferring to state law.
- Adding penalty for underage persons using false identification.